The ultimate list of social media resources you’ll need for effective SMB marketingBy Mary-Margaret Bennett
Social media marketing is more important than ever to a small business's success, which is why agencies need to leverage their management services to help them succeed. However, without the right tools and resources, you could spend lots of time and effort producing campaigns that underperform.
Social media is an important communication channel. Ensure you create content that connects with your audience by downloading our free “White-label social media checklist” now.
In this article, you'll find a list of must-have social media resources to help you save time and market more effectively.
Best social media marketing platforms for SMBs
From a live chat messenger to a place to post reviews, updates, and contact information, Facebook contains many useful features for users to interact with small businesses. As a social media marketing agency, managing a presence on Facebook is the best way to enhance brand recognition, cultivate a loyal following, boost sales, and generate potential customers for your clients.
Some great use cases for Facebook include:
- Targeted advertising campaigns.
- Business update posts.
- Directly promoting and selling products or services through the platform.
- Responding to feedback and answering questions.
- Using the Facebook reel feature to engage with followers.
While many think that only artsy brands succeed with Instagram, most businesses can benefit from the platform if your content targets correctly. Instagram is one of the platforms most optimized for organic reach. When crafting content for your clients, keep a close eye on the small details and flex your photography and graphic design skills to ensure the content you produce always looks top-notch.
Some great use cases for Instagram include:
- Engaging with your audience through compelling photos, videos, and Instagram stories.
- Utilizing hashtags, geotagging, and influencers to increase brand awareness and grow a following.
- Promoting and selling products directly through the platform.
On top of being used to update followers on the latest offerings, Twitter is a great space for small businesses to manage their reputation, connect with users and answer questions. The majority of users use Twitter to follow businesses they like and scope out new products or services, making it an effective space to grow awareness for your small business clients.
Some great use cases for Twitter include:
- Customer service: Leverage Twitter for customer service and engagement by addressing concerns and responding to feedback.
- Brand awareness and engagement: Boost awareness and engagement on Twitter with targeted, shareable content for your audience.
- Audience research: Twitter is ideal for tracking current trends and getting real-time information, which can help you discover the topics and content that interest your target audience.
LinkedIn should be a top priority for marketing agencies that manage the social presence of B2B and B2C companies. It offers a valuable opportunity to help clients connect with qualified prospects, showcase their expertise, and generate qualified leads.
Some great use cases for LinkedIn include:
- Enhancing your client’s visibility to potential prospects.
- Showcasing thought leadership content, webinars, and blogs.
- Promoting job opportunities, and engaging with employees.
Google Business Profile
While GBP (Google Business Profile) primarily acts as a listing, it’s also a powerful social media platform. 51% of shoppers use Google to do research before making a purchase (Google), so clients having an up-to-date Google Business Profile can help users move the needle on deciding to buy.
Some great use cases for GBP include:
- Responding to customer reviews.
- Posting photos of the latest products, services, or special offers.
- Updating business details, including hours, phone number, website, street address, and FAQs.
One notable advantage of TikTok for marketing over other platforms is the opportunity to utilize hashtags to improve findability in searches. TikTok also carries great reporting tools for business accounts, allowing you to gauge the success of your ads campaign.
Some great use cases for TikTok include:
- Short promotional videos about new product launches.
- Participating in TikTok challenges.
- Answering customer questions or demonstrating how a product works.
- Leveraging influencer marketing.
4 Essential types of social media marketing resources
1. Social media management tools
Social media management tools provide invaluable assets for marketing agencies, providing time-saving and productivity-enhancing solutions. They offer centralized dashboards that streamline social media management tasks, allowing agencies to schedule, publish, and monitor content across multiple platforms from a single interface.
With features like content planning, social listening, and analytics, agencies can effectively manage client accounts, automate repetitive tasks, collaborate seamlessly, and gain valuable insights for data-driven decision-making. Below, you’ll find some of the digital marketing industry’s most widely used social media management tools for you to compare and contrast these different features.
Benefits of Hootsuite for marketing agencies include:
- A centralized dashboard where users can manage multiple social media accounts.
- User-friendly interface for scheduling and publishing posts.
- Monitor social media activity and engage with your clients’ audiences.
- Simple integrations compatible with software like Mailchimp, HubSpot, Salesforce, or Marketo.
Benefits of Sprout Social for marketing agencies include:
- A unified inbox and collaborative tools so teams can work together on campaigns and engage with followers.
- Reputation monitoring, audience insights, and integration with major social media networks.
- Designed with marketing managers in mind to reduce busy work with automation.
- Strong employee advocacy features built-in to draft content and share with team members.
How Vendasta’s Social Marketing tool is different
Vendasta's Social Marketing solution is a game-changer for marketing agencies seeking to thrive in the competitive digital marketing landscape. Designed to empower agencies of all sizes, Vendasta also harnesses the power of white-label social media management tools and services to elevate brands, engage customers, and help agencies with selling social media packages.
Running out of social media post ideas? Vendasta features a centralized hub for collaboration and offers robust tools to marketing agencies to craft compelling campaigns for their clients.
- Take advantage of fully-customizable templates.
- Instantly create eye-catching AI-generated visuals and social media posts.
- Use data to curate captivating content that resonates with your SMB's target audience.
In today's competitive landscape, social media in reputation management is paramount. Vendasta's Social Marketing Product provides businesses with powerful tools to monitor and protect your clients’ online reputation. Stay ahead of the curve by:
- Requesting reviews from happy customers.
- Proactively addressing customer comments with on-brand AI-generated responses.
- Taking advantage of white-label review management services for 24/7 responses to reviews and comments on sites like Google, Facebook, Yelp, and TripAdvisor.
Benefits of Vendasta for marketing agencies include:
- A complete end-to-end white-label platform designed for marketing agencies to reduce busywork and streamline processes.
- Automate recurring tasks, schedule campaigns, and take advantage of pre-made templates and other features.
- AI functionality for content and image creation.
- Dedicated in-house white-label fulfillment services for social media drafting, social media boosting strategies, and reputation management
2. Content creation tools
Marketing agencies play a crucial role in assisting small businesses to achieve their marketing goals. By leveraging content creation tools, marketing agencies like yours can deliver more effective marketing efforts to SMBs.
Benefits of content creation tools for social media:
- Efficiency and time savings: Content creation tools help streamline the process of creating social media content, saving time and resources with their intuitive interfaces, pre-designed templates, and drag-and-drop functionality.
- Consistency and branding: Maintain a consistent brand identity through the creation of customizable templates, ensuring that all content aligns with the client's social media style guide.
- Creative possibilities: Keep content fresh by experimenting with a wide array of creative features, such as stock imagery, fonts, filters, and effects.
- Data-driven decision making: Track key metrics such as reach, engagement, and conversions to make informed decisions and optimize content strategies.
Tips when using content creation tools for social media:
- Know your audience: Research your client's target market to determine their preferences, interests, and demographics for effective social media content creation.
- Consistency is key: Maintain a consistent visual style and tone across social media platforms by using templates and design elements that reflect the client's brand identity.
- Embrace variety: Dabble in video, images, and interactive content to capture attention, encourage interaction, and enhance the overall user experience.
3. Analytics and monitoring tools
By analyzing crucial social media metrics, agencies can measure the effectiveness of their campaigns, gain valuable insights into audience behavior, and make data-driven decisions to optimize their strategies.
Benefits of analytics and monitoring tools for marketing agencies:
- Measuring campaign performance: Tracking social media metrics allows marketing agencies to assess the performance of their campaigns quickly and accurately. For example, Vendasta's Social Marketing tools provide a comprehensive dashboard that displays key performance indicators (KPIs) like reach and engagement in real time, enabling agencies to track campaign success at a glance.
- Understanding Audience Behavior: By analyzing metrics such as demographics, engagement rates, and content preferences, agencies can gain insights into audience behaviors, and tailor content more effectively.
- Optimizing Content Strategy: By analyzing key metrics, agencies can identify which types of content perform best and refine their strategies accordingly.
- Proving ROI to Clients: By tracking metrics such as conversions and revenue generated, agencies can quantify the impact of their efforts and showcase the value they bring to their clients.
4. Social media advertising tools
By leveraging the capabilities of these types of tools, marketing agencies can optimize their campaigns, target specific demographics, and achieve measurable results, along with other benefits such as:
- Enhanced targeting and reach: Precisely target the client's ideal customer profile, ensuring that your advertising efforts reach the right people at the right time.
- Advanced ad optimization: This includes A/B testing, ad scheduling, and budget allocation. Experiment with different ad formats and strategies to determine which combinations yield the best results.
- Measurable results and ROI: Provides valuable insights into ad performance, engagement rates, conversions, and other key metrics to effectively demonstrate the ROI of their advertising efforts to their clients.
- Seamlessly aligned messaging: This integration ensures that the client's advertising efforts are seamlessly integrated into their broader social media presence and brand identity.
Some use cases and examples for social media advertising tools include:
- Retargeting campaigns: By leveraging tracking capabilities, the agency can show targeted ads to individuals who have previously interacted with the client's website or social media content.
- Product launches: Create highly tailored ad campaigns that specifically target the client's desired customer segments to generate buzz, and drive interest for a new product.
- Localized advertising: Drive higher foot traffic, promote local offers, and build a stronger connection with the community.
5 Essential types of social media resources for education and training
Knowing which social media blogs to follow can help marketing agencies can stay ahead of the competition, adapt to evolving industry landscapes, and deliver exceptional results for their clients.
Importance of blogs for marketing agencies:
- Continuous learning: Industry blogs provide a wealth of up-to-date information, keeping marketing agencies informed about the latest developments in their field and helping agencies better adapt.
- Expert insights and best practices: Marketing agencies can gain new perspectives, learn from successful campaigns, and apply proven strategies to enhance their own marketing efforts.
- Industry trends and market intelligence: By understanding industry trends and consumer preferences, agencies can make informed decisions, tailor their strategies to the market's demands, and deliver more effective campaigns.
Other benefits of blogs for marketing agencies:
- Skill development and training: Whether it's learning about new tools, mastering specific marketing tactics, or honing strategic thinking, blogs can enhance individual and team capabilities.
- Inspiration and innovation: Reading about success stories and innovative approaches sparks creativity and encourages agencies to think outside the box.
- Thought leadership and networking opportunities: Many blogs feature guest contributions from renowned experts and thought leaders in marketing, enabling you to learn from and potentially network with these individuals.
Blogs you should be following:
- Vendasta: With a focus on digital marketing, you’ll find articles that cover a wide range of topics, including social media, SEO, content marketing, and more.
- HubSpot: Their content provides actionable tips, case studies, and expert insights to help agencies improve their marketing strategies and achieve business growth.
- Hootsuite: The Hootsuite blog offers practical tips, best practices, and case studies to help marketing agencies refine their social media strategy.
Curated content, industry insights, and expert knowledge delivered directly to your inbox. Newsletters play a crucial role in keeping marketing agencies up-to-date with the latest trends, strategies, and best practices in the ever-evolving marketing landscape.
Importance of newsletters for marketing agencies’ training and education:
- Curated content: Newsletters sift through vast amounts of industry content and handpick the most valuable and insightful information that is meaningful to you.
- Industry insights and trends: Newsletters provide expert perspectives and data-driven insights on emerging trends, allowing agencies to adjust their strategies to stay ahead of the competition.
- Continuous learning and professional development: Newsletters offer ongoing training and educational opportunities, offering resources that help marketing professionals acquire new skills, and sharpen existing ones.
- Networking and community building: Newsletters provide opportunities for collaboration, discussion, and engagement with industry peers, thought leaders, and experts.
Popular newsletters you should sign up for:
- Vendasta's Marketing Newsletter: Vendasta's newsletter covers a wide range of topics for agencies, including digital marketing trends, social media strategies, customer acquisition, and retention, helping agencies like yours enhance their marketing strategies and drive business growth.
- HubSpot: HubSpot's marketing newsletter touches on inbound marketing, content marketing, lead generation, and automation.
- Growthnotes: If you seek to expand your marketing knowledge and find inspiration for your own strategies through meticulously analyzed case studies, Growthnotes is the newsletter for you.
Dedicated marketing podcasts offer valuable insights into industry trends, expert interviews, and actionable tips that can benefit marketing agencies seeking to expand their knowledge. Adding podcasts to your regular listening can provide you with:
- Expert insights and interviews: Podcasts with industry experts and thought leaders provide unique perspectives, real-world experiences, and actionable advice to inspire and guide marketing agencies in their strategies.
- Diverse topics and specializations: Marketing podcasts will cover a wide range of topics surrounding social media, allowing agencies to explore various areas of social media marketing and gain a holistic understanding of the industry.
- Learnings from success: Podcast guests who are industry experts will often share success stories providing valuable insights into effective strategies, innovative approaches, and successful campaign execution.
Popular podcasts you should subscribe to:
- Vendasta's Conquer Local Podcast: The podcast covers various marketing topics, offering practical advice from industry leaders to help agencies succeed in everything online.
- Marketing School by Neil Patel and Eric Siu: The two hosts cover a wide range of topics, including SEO, content marketing, social media, and growth hacking, providing valuable insights that can be directly applied to your marketing agency strategies.
- The GaryVee Audio Experience: GaryVee provides practical advice on marketing, entrepreneurship, and personal development in a way that is both motivational and engaging.
Webinars have emerged as a popular and effective medium for education and training in the marketing industry. Vendasta, among other providers, offers webinars specifically designed to equip marketing agencies with the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in their endeavors.
Benefits of webinars for marketing agencies:
- Flexible learning: Marketing professionals can participate in training and education at their own pace without the need for travel.
- Expert insights and practical tips: Gain access to real-world examples and actionable advice to help improve your strategies and achieve better results.
- Cost-effective training: Compared to in-person workshops or conferences, webinars generally have lower costs, making them accessible to agencies with varying budgets.
Popular Webinars you should check out:
- Vendasta's Webinar Series: Vendasta hosts webinars that cover a wide range of marketing topics, and are designed specifically to help agencies excel in their marketing efforts.
- HubSpot Webinars: HubSpot's webinars provide marketing agencies with practical tips, best practices, and strategies to drive success in their marketing campaigns.
5. Social Media Courses
These courses offer comprehensive insights, strategies, and practical skills to help marketing professionals enhance their social media marketing capabilities. With various online courses available online, marketers can choose from a range of options to meet their specific needs and goals.
Benefits of social media courses for marketing agencies:
- Specialized expertise: Curated insights and knowledge that go beyond general marketing education, focusing specifically on the intricacies of social media platforms, algorithms, and user behavior.
- Credibility and professional development: Enhances the credibility of marketing agencies and their professionals, positioning them as trusted experts in the field of social media marketing.
- Networking and Industry Connections: Online forums, communities, or dedicated groups associated with the courses enable marketers to connect with peers, share insights, and collaborate on projects.
Popular social media courses available online:
- Conquer Local Academy: From understanding the latest digital marketing trends to leveraging cutting-edge technologies, Conquer Local Academy offers practical insights and actionable strategies for achieving business growth.
- Hootsuite Social Media Marketing Certification: Participants gain practical skills and industry-recognized credentials, equipping them to develop and execute successful social media campaigns.
- Meta Blueprint: These courses cater to different skill levels, from beginner to advanced, and cover topics like advertising, audience targeting, insights, and campaign optimization.
- LinkedIn Learning: These courses provide comprehensive training on leveraging social media for marketing purposes, including content creation, engagement strategies, community building, and brand management.
How to maximize resources for your social media marketing efforts
Agencies are not only budget-conscious but also time-constrained, making efficient resource allocation crucial. By maximizing and optimizing your resources, you can achieve better ROI, deliver high-quality campaigns within your deadlines, and maintain a competitive edge in the market. It is no stretch to say that maximizing resources is the key to greater success and client satisfaction.
Identify the right resources for specific client needs
When it comes to selecting the right resources for your clients, it's key to conduct thorough research to determine their specific needs and goals. You can determine the most suitable resources for your clients by:
- Identifying the proper social media platforms: Consider factors such as demographics, user behavior, and platform popularity within the client's industry to find the best fit.
- Evaluating resource features and capabilities: Consider the resources and tools available to you, then evaluate how well these features align with your client's specific objectives and requirements.
- Considering client objectives, budget, and resources: Balancing your client’s pursuits with their available resources is essential to ensure sustainable and successful implementation.
- Making recommendations: Present the benefits and drawbacks, and provide clear justifications for your recommendations, considering factors such as cost-effectiveness, audience reach, engagement potential, and platform suitability.
Create a streamlined workflow to effectively manage resources
To effectively manage resources within your marketing agency, implementing a well-defined process is crucial. You can create an efficient workflow by:
- Establishing clear roles and responsibilities: Assign tasks and set expectations to avoid confusion and ensure everyone understands their responsibilities within the workflow.
- Developing a content calendar: Consider factors such as peak engagement times, relevant industry events, and campaign timelines to optimize content planning.
- Utilizing scheduling tools: Take advantage of low-cost marketing techniques and scheduling tools to automate social media posting. Platforms like Vendasta or Hootsuite allow you to schedule posts in advance, freeing up your time for more important tasks.
- Regularly reviewing and analyzing metrics: Review engagement rates, reach, conversions, and other relevant metrics to assess the effectiveness of your efforts.
- Continuous workflow optimization: Streamline processes, eliminate redundant tasks, and leverage technology to automate repetitive activities.
Regularly updating and assessing social media strategies and tools
When it comes to the world of social media, adapting to the constant changes in each platform is crucial to staying relevant. Regularly updating and assessing your strategy can stay ahead of your competition, so long as you:
- Stay up-to-date with social media trends: Keep a pulse on the latest trends, algorithm changes, and best practices. This helps you to stay informed about emerging platforms, new features, and evolving user behaviors.
- Regularly assess performance and make adjustments: This iterative approach ensures that your efforts align with evolving audience preferences and industry dynamics.
- Conduct regular audits: Evaluate the suitability of the tools you are using and explore new options that may better align with your clients' goals and deliver improved results.
- Seek client feedback and collaboration: This approach fosters a stronger partnership and allows you to fine-tune your strategies to meet their specific requirements as you both grow together.
- Embrace a culture of continuous learning: Yes, we cannot emphasize this enough. Encourage team members to stay updated on industry trends, attend webinars or conferences, and participate in training programs.
Frequently asked questions
What are some important features to look for in social media management tools?
Some important features to look for in social media management tools include scheduling and publishing capabilities, social media analytics and reporting, social listening and monitoring, team collaboration features, and integration with multiple social media platforms.
How can I stay up to date on new social media resources and trends?
To stay up to date on new social media resources and trends, you can follow reputable social media blogs, subscribe to industry newsletters, join social media communities and forums, and actively engage with thought leaders and experts in the field.