185 Social media statistics: Statistics on social media marketing for 2023By Dew Smith
We've updated our killer list of top social media statistics for 2023! See the best stats on all major social platforms—from Facebook to LinkedIn, and even TikTok.
Ensure you create social media content that connects with your audience by downloading our free “White-label social media checklist” now.
How many social network stats does it take to understand online consumer behavior? As many as you can get. People are strange beings, and with 5.47 billion of them online worldwide, and almost two billion active websites, it can be hard to pin down their behaviors (First Site Guide). That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the most recent (and most surprising) social media business stats for businesses to help you understand how to reach your online audience.
With billions of users spread out over billions of websites, you may be wondering how it’s even possible to gather stats on where people are online and what people are doing there. Thanks to social media, those online users congregate on a few major sites to tell tales and share photos with friends and family. Our list of stats covers these major social channels, from Facebook to Pinterest and beyond, to get you the latest and greatest information along with actionable insights, like the benefits of social tracking. With 92% of businesses using social data to optimize their marketing tactics, shouldn’t you (Statista)?
Table of Contents
- General statistics on social media marketing for local businesses
- Facebook social media marketing statistics
- Twitter social networking statistics
- Linkedin social media stats for business
- TikTok social media marketing statistics
- Google social media business stats
- Instagram social networks stats
- YouTube social media marketing facts
- Pinterest social media statistics
- Snapchat social networking statistics
- Tumblr social media marketing statistics
General statistics on social media marketing for local businesses
- There are 4.76 billion active users on social media (Data Reportal, 2023).
- 9 out of 10 internet users use social media at least every month. (Satusbrew, 2023) Social media is a ubiquitous part of people's lives around the world, and continues to be an essential avenue for reaching audiences.
- 99% of social media users globally use mobile phones to access social networks. (Backlinko, 2021) With mobile devices being so central to how users engage with social media, it’s more important than ever to optimize social media content and campaigns for mobile viewing to effectively engage and connect with audiences.
- The number of social media users continues to grow: over the last year, the number of social media users globally has increased by 3%. (Data Reportal, 2023).
- Social media users actively use 7 unique accounts every month on average. (Data Reportal, 2023) With users juggling multiple social media accounts, marketers need to create cohesive and consistent brand messaging across various platforms to ensure they reach their target audience and make a lasting impact. Using a social media management platform makes it easier to manage all of these accounts.
- 27% of ad buyers and planning to start buying or increase their spending on social media. (Regalix, 2023). This social media statistic indicates that SMB clients are putting more of their ad dollars where they are seeing results: in social media.
- 94% of digital consumers aged 16-64 have an account on at least one social platform (Raffingers Marketing, 2023). Social media use may have skewed young in its earlier days, but today, it spans generations. Marketers need to be aware of which networks their target audience uses the most.
- 98% of digital consumers aged 16-64 have been active on social media during the past month (Raffingers Marketing, 2023). Even the few users who don’t have accounts still engage with social networks.
- 75% of marketers agree that social media marketing has driven an increase in traffic (Search Logistics, 2023).
- 70% of SMBs plan to invest primarily in social media as part of their digital advertising strategy (PR Newswire, 2022). This indicates that funds are moving away from traditional media channels and flowing into social media.
- 32% of marketers say that social media profiles are the most valuable source to address the loss of third-party cookies (Oracle, 2022). As owned media becomes increasingly important in the face of more stringent privacy laws, social media pages will continue to represent an important owned media channel.
- Social media ad video spending is predicted to increase by 15.8% in 2023 (Insider Intelligence, 2022). All social media statistics point to video remaining the most important type of visual content in 2023.
- Between 26-28% of social media users in Gex or younger say that finding products to purchase is their top reason for using social media (Global Web Index, 2022).
- Globally, internet users spend 2 hours and 26 minutes on social media every day (Global Web Index, 2022).
- Among Gen Z users, 35% say their top reason for using social media is to see what’s trending and find out what’s being talked about (Global Web Index, 2022). For marketers, this emphasizes the importance of staying on top of and participating in online trends.
- Among North American users, 19% say that the main reason they use social networks is to find products to purchase, up a whopping 11% since 2020 (Global Web Index, 2022).
- One in four consumers watches a video created by a brand they follow each month (Global Web Index, 2022).
- Videos under 4 minutes in length are most popular, with 96% of Gen Z and 94% of Millennial social media users watching them per month. (Global Web Index, 2022). This trend may have started with TikTok, but short-format videos can be found across social media platforms today.
- When internet users want to learn more about a brand, 77% of them turn to social media first (Global Web Index, 2022). Having active and up-to-date social media channels can help consumers along their journey.
- 64% of internet users say they find out about brands or products through social media (Global Web Index, 2022).
- Among marketers, 66% are using social media to generate leads (G2).
- Consumers buy products within social apps more often than through brand websites or third-party resellers, according to 80% of social media marketers (Hubspot 2022). The takeaway? Social media and ecommerce increasingly go hand in hand.
- On average, businesses post 11 times per day across all of their social media channels (Sprout Social, 2022). With a multi-platform approach being preferred by many brands, it’s important to keep all profiles active.
- Sales via social media are expected to reach almost $1.3 billion in 2023 (Statista, 2023).
Facebook social media marketing statistics
- Facebook has roughly 2.96 billion active users (Statista, 2022). This means that no matter what industry your SMB clients operate in, their audience is more than likely on Facebook.
- About 62% of Internet users use Facebook, making it the most-used social media platform in the world (Sprout Social, 2023). Newer platforms have become very influential, but there’s no denying the staying power of Facebook.
- An estimated 2 billion people use Facebook on a daily basis (Data Reportal, 2023).
- In the US, just over 8 in 10 adults have a Facebook account (Social Pilot, 2023).
- 98.5% of Facebook users access the social network on mobile devices (Statista, 2022).
- 89% of B2B marketers and 96% of B2C marketers use Facebook as their primary channel for advertising (Truelist, 2022).
- Almost a third of Americans regularly get their news on Facebook (Pew Research, 2021).
- The average duration of a Facebook visit is 10 minutes 21 seconds (Similarweb, 2023).
- Facebook is the 3rd most popular website in the world by traffic share, behind only Google and Youtube (Similarweb, 2023). This social network stat should put to rest an ideas that Facebook is no longer relevant.
- Facebook is the second biggest seller of digital ads after Google (Truelist, 2022).
- Over 200 million unique small businesses have pages on Facebook (BusinessDIT, 2022).
- 68.7% of Facebook users in the USA accessed Facebook only through mobile phones (Statista, 2022).
- Every day, more than 260 million new conversations are had on Facebook Messenger (Techjury, 2023).
- The average Facebook user has 338 friends on the platform (Truelist, 2023).
- In the US, 55% of Facebook users are female, while globally, males make up 56.3 of Facebook users (Truelist, 2023).
- Facebook is home to over 10 million unique groups (Socialpilot, 2023).
- The average US adult spends a total of 30.1 minutes on Facebook every day (Socialpilot, 2023).
- Among 13-17-year-olds, 51% use Facebook (Truelist, 2023). While it’s far more popular with older generations, half of the teens still use the platform.
- 93% of social media marketers use Facebook to run paid advertisements (Truelist, 2023).
- The ideal ad headline length is just five words, according to an analysis of 752,626 Facebook ads (Truelist, 2023).
- Facebook users check the social network an average of 13.8 times every day (Truelist, 2023).
- The cost of running ads on Meta, Facebook’s parent company, has increased by 24% year over year (Meta, 2022). This may have to do with changes in the type of content that users prefer, such as reels over static images. Marketers will need to adjust their strategies to maximize ROI.
- Every day 1 billion Facebook Stories are shared on the network (SocialPilot, 2023).
- 57% of brands feel that Facebook Stories are an effective way to promote their products or services (SocialPilot, 2023).
- Facebook Live videos were found to be highly effective by 24% of businesses (EnterpriseAppsToday, 2023).
- Facebook Live videos generate a six-fold increase in interactions over traditional videos (EnterpriseAppsToday, 2023).
Also see here: 75 Marketing Automation Stats
Twitter social networking statistics
- Twitter has about 556 million monthly active users (Data Reportal, 2023).
- 80% of Twitter’s active users use the platform on their mobile devices (Marketsplash, 2023).
- The United States has the most Twitter users in the world, with 95.4 million Americans using the platform, or over 1 in 4 (Data Reportal, 2023).
- 54% of B2B marketers use Twitter (Statista, 2023). This social network stat suggests that conversations between businesses take place on Twitter.
- 76% of users have made a purchase because of something they saw on Twitter (Twitter, 2023).
- 89% of users have used Twitter to discover new products (Twitter, 2023).
- Amonger all marketers, only 43% are using Twitter to promote their businesses (Statista, 2022).
- 28% of marketers plan to increase their activity on Twitter in the 12 months from May 2022 (Marketing Charts, 2022).
- Surprisingly, Twitter usage among Gen Z is growing about 30% faster than Instagram usage among the same cohort (Edison Research, 2022).
- Most users—about 79%—follow brands and businesses on Twitter (Twitter, 2023).
- Over the past 12 months, Twitter’s advertising audience reach grow by 27.4% (Data Reportal, 2023).
- Twitter’s user base skews very male, with 63% of users worldwide being male, and 37% being female (Data Reportal, 2023).
- The most followed user on Twitter remains Barack Obama, with over 133 million users. Elon Musk follows in second place with over 124 million users (Data Reportal, 2023).
- The most used emoji on Twitter is the laugh-crying emoji, which has been used in over 3.7 billion posts (Data Reportal, 2023).
- The age group with the largest share of Twitter’s user base is 25-34, which represents 38.5 of Twitter’s audience (SocialPilot, 2023).
- 57% of Twitter users who get news on Twitter say the platform has increased their understanding of current events (Pew, 2021).
- 82% of Tiwtter’s most high-volume users primarily use the site for entertainment (Statista, 2022).
- Every day, roughly 500 million tweets are posted on Twitter (DemandSage, 2023).
- Twitter users spend an average of 34.8 minutes on the app each day (SproutScoial, 2023).
- Twitter’s user base is highly educated. A third of users have at least a college degree and earn over $75,000 annually (SproutScoial, 2023).
- The average view time for ads on Twitter is 26% higher than other leading platforms with video ads (SproutScoial, 2023).
- 72% of brands on Twitter use the platform as part of their customer service strategy (SproutScoial, 2023). Brands using Twitter this way should be prepared to respond quickly since this is the expectation on the platform.
- 43% of marketers overall use Twitter (Statista, 2023).
- On average, the number of weekly posts brands make on Twitter is 4 (Statista, 2023).
- Only 2% of marketers say that Twitter is their most important social media platform (Statista, 2023).
- The average cost per click of Twitter ads is 0.38 USD (Statista, 2023).
Also see here: 33 Twitter Stats to Make you Think (and Tweet)
Linkedin social media stats for business
- LinkedIn has 900 million members worldwide (LinkedIn, 2023).
- LinkedIn is rapidly growing, with 43 million new users joining—a 5% increase—in the three months leading up to January 2023 (Data Reportal, 2023).
- Roughly 16% of all people over the age of 18 globally have a LinkedIn account (Data Reportal, 2023).
- LinkedIn grew by 11.4% in the year leading up to January 2023 (Data Reportal, 2023).
- There are over 200 million users in the US alone (Data Reportal, 2023).
- LinkedIn skews slightly male, with 56.3% of users being male (Data Reportal, 2023).
- The largest age cohort by far on LinkedIn is 25-34-year-olds, who make up 60% of the user base (Data Reportal, 2023).
- The number of users on LinkedIn is expected to surpass 2 billion in 2025 (SocialPilot, 2023).
- Over 17 million opinion leaders have LinkedIn accounts (SocialPilot, 2023).
- Companies that post to LinkedIn every week see their engagement rates double (SocialPilot, 2023). Regular posting is key to creating relationships on Linkedin.
- 6% of brands say that LinkedIn is the most effective platform for building an active community on social media (HubSpot, 2023).
- American social media marketers say that the best time to post on LinkedIn is between 9 AM and 3 PM (HubSpot, 2023).
- A third of all America B2B digital display ad venue is on LinkedIn (Insider, 2021). This makes LinkedIn a vitally important advertising channel for B2B businesses.
- 16.2% of LinkedIn users in the US use the platform every day (Statista, 2021).
Also see here: 50 Stats You Need to Know About Online Reviews [Infographic]
TikTok social media marketing statistics
- TikTok has over 1 billion active monthly users (Data Reportal, 2023).
- Globally, 18.7% of people over the age of 18 use TikTok (Data Reportal, 2023).
- In the USA, TikTok has 124 million users over the age of 18 (Data Reportal, 2023).
- TikTok’s audience skews slightly female, with 54.1% of users being female (Data Reportal, 2023).
- While TikTok doesn’t provide exact demographic statistics, the largest share of TikTok’s advertising audience is between the ages of 18 and 24 (Data Reportal, 2023).
- TikTok was the most downloaded app in the world in 2022, with 672 million downloads worldwide (Statista, 2023).
- The number of TikTok users in the US is expected to surpass 100 million in 2024 (Statista, 2023).
- Worldwide, TikTok users spend almost 23 hours per month on the app (HootSuite, 2023).
- Users primarily seek humorous and entertaining content on the app (HootSuite, 2023). This social media statistic suggests that businesses should lean into the playful character of the app.
- TikTok video ads with the highest click-through rate highlight their most important message within the first 3 seconds of the video (TikTok, 2023).
- TikTok is all about breaking the fourth wall, with 33% of the most successful ads featuring creators addressing the community directly and looking at the camera (TikTok, 2023).
- TikTok has overtaken Instagram in popularity among Gen Z users (Insider Intelligence, 2021). However, both platforms remain very popular with this cohort.
- 23% of marketers consider TikTok an effective platform for reaching their business, up 700% from just 3% the previous year (HootSuite, 2023). This explosive growth of in popularity has propelled many new SMBs to join the platform and challenge themselves to create video content.
- By partnering with creators through TikTok’s creator marketplace, brands can increase the view-through rate of their videos by 193% (HootSuite, 2023).
- 73% of users say they feel a deeper connection with brands they interact with on TikTok (TikTok, 2023).
Google social media business stats
- 64% of consumers check Google Business Profile to find contact information for local businesses (Gitnux, 2023). This listing is very important for online reputation management.
- 34% of local businesses are visible in over 1000 Google searches per month (Gitnux, 2023).
- On average, businesses with a Google Business Profile have 11 photos (Gitnux, 2023).
- The most common action taken by visitors to a Google Business Profile is website visits, which account for 56% of actions taken (Gitnux, 2023).
- On average, Google Business Profiles receive 33 clicks per month (The Media Captain, 2023).
- Over 5% of Google Business Profile visits result in users taking an action (The Media Captain, 2023). This can be a click, a phone call, or leaving a review, for example.
- 56% of retailers haven’t claimed their Google Business Profile (The Media Captain, 2023). This is a missed opportunity, particularly for local businesses that can benefit from capturing local audiences and foot traffic.
- 51% of shoppers use Google to research a purchase before they make it (Google, 2023). Having an up-to-date Google Business Profile can help users feel confident enough to make a purchase.
- 93% of consumers use Google Maps to find a business (AWE, 2022). This social media statistic should encourage local businesses to create a Google Business Profile.
- Local and organic searches comprise 69% of digital traffic (On The Map, 2022).
- 41% of business searches on Google Maps lead to an on-site visit (Google, 2023).
Instagram social networks stats
- Instagram has more than 2 billion monthly active users (Statista, 2023).
- Almost 1 in 3 internet users globally have an Instagram account (Statista, 2023).
- 79% of marketers worldwide use Instagram, and 61% plan to increase their use of the social media platform (Statista, 2023).
- Nearly one in four marketers say that Instagram is the most important social media platform (Statista, 2023).
- Over 95 million photos are posted to the platform every day (Zippia, 2022).
- American users spend just over 30 minutes per day on Instagram (Insider Intelligence, 2022).
- 90% of users follow at least one brand on Instagram (Liniqia, 2021).
- Brands post an average of 4.55 posts on Instagram each week (Statista, 2023).
- The biggest age cohort on Instagram is users aged 25-34 (Hootsuite, 2023).
- 62% of people aged 13-17 use Instagram (Pew Research, 2022).
- Most Instagram brand accounts grow their follower numbers by just under 1% each month (Hootsuite, 2023).
- Engagement with brands is 10 times higher on Instagram than on Facebook (Brandwatch, 2019). This may be because organic reach on Instagram is far greater than on Facebook.
- Instagram users are roughly evenly split between male and female, with 51.8% of global users being male (Data Reportal, 2023).
- 35% of Instagram users are expected to make a purchase within the platform in 2023 (Hootsuite, 2023).
- In 2023, Instagram is expected to generate over 50 billion in ad revenue (Hootsuite, 2023).
- 37% of users report that the ads they see on Instagram are aligned with their interests most of the time (99firms, 2023).
- Costs per click for Instagram ads usually range between $0.2 and $2 (99firms, 2023).
- In America, 17% of the total time adults spend on social media is spent on Instagram (Hootsuite, 2023).
- The most active brands on the platform post 17 stories each month (Hootsuite, 2023). Many businesses feel they have to post more than this, so this statistic is a reminder that constant posting is not absolutely necessary for success.
- Reels now make up 30% of the time people spend on Instagram (Hootsuite, 2023).
- The average engagement rate on Instagram is 0.54% (Hootsuite, 2023).
Also see here: 50 Shocking Stats About Online Reputation Management [Infographic]
YouTube social media marketing facts
- YouTube has over 2.5 billion users globally (DataReportal, 2023).
- YouTube’s audience skews slightly male, with 54.4 of global users being male and 45.6 being female (DataReportal, 2023).
- 15% of YouTube’s users are aged 18-24, 20.7% are aged 25-34, and 16.7% are aged 35-44 (DataReportal, 2023).
- YouTube users spend 23.4 hours on the platform every month, which is more than any other social media platform (Hootsuite, 2023).
- 81% of Americans actively use YouTube (Hootsuite, 2023).
- 36% of YouTube users access the video platform multiple times each day (Hootsuite, 2023).
- A whopping 95% of teens in the US use YouTube (Hootsuite, 2023). This social media statistic makes YouTUbe the most popular social media platform for this age cohort.
- 19% of teens aged 13-17 say they use TikTok almost constantly, making them super users
- Every single minute, 500 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube (Statista, 2022).
- Users who visit YouTube on mobile devices view twice as many pages as those who access the video platform on desktop (Statista, 2021).
- YouTube shorts, the platforms answer to short-from videos like those seen on TikTok, have been viewed 5 trillion times (YouTube, 2022).
- 59% of Gen Z users say they watch short-form videos to gauge if they are interested in watching longer versions of similar content (Google, 2022). This social media statistic indicates that marketers using YouTube can benefit from posting a combination of short and long-form videos.
- YouTube is the second-most visited site in the world after Google (Hootsuite, 2022).
Also see here: 58 Statistics for Websites [Infographic]
Pinterest social media statistics
- There are about 450 million monthly active users on the Pinterest platform (Data Reportal, 2023).
- About 5.6% of people worldwide are Pinterest users (Data Reportal, 2023).
- The US is home to the largest number of active Pinterest users, totaling 84.6 million (Data Reportal, 2023).
- Pinterest skews female. 76.2% of users are female, 17.2% are male, and 6.6% are unspecified (Data Reportal, 2023).
- Pinterest trends last 21% longer on the platform compared with trends on other social media platforms (Pinterest, 2021).
- Gen Z is the fastest-growing audience on Pinterest (Hootsuite, 2023).
- 85% of pinners use the platform to plan projects (Hootsuite, 2023).
- The overwhelming majority of searches on Pinterest—97%—are unbranded (SproutSocial, 2023). This social media statistic is great news for SMBs that may not have wide brand recognition yet.
- Pins have a longer post lifespan than other social media platforms, allowing for better ROI for each pin (SproutSocial, 2023). Pins can be discovered by users as much as 6 months to a year after they are originally posted.
- 76% of pinners save items on the platform with the intention of purchasing them later (G2, 2022).
- Pinterest is home to over 5 billion user-created boards (G2, 2022).
- Pinterest users are affluent, with 45% of Americans with a household income over $100,000 using Pinterest (Hootsuite, 2022).
- Pinterest users spend twice as much monthly as users on other platforms (Pinterest, 2022).
Snapchat social networking statistics
- Snapchat’s active monthly user count is sitting at 634.8 million in 2023 (Data Reportal, 2023).
- 375 million Snapchat users are active daily (Data Reportal, 2023).
- Snapchat users skew young, with 39% of users belonging to the 18-24 age group (Statistia, 2022).
- Snapchat users spend a lot of time on the app, averaging 30 minutes per day (Snapchat, 2023).
- 30 million users play Snap games each month (Snapchat, 2021). Marketers, take heed: you can incorporate Snap games into your unskippable ads on the platform.
- Snapchat generated 3.1 billion in advertising revenue in 2021 and is expected to generate 5.9 billion by 2026 (Statista, 2023). This indicates that more brands are seeing the value of advertising on Snapchat.
- 64% of users watch ads on the platform with the sound on, so it’s important for advertisers to use sound in their ads (Snapchat, 2020).
- Every minute, more than 2 million snaps are sent (SocialPilot, 2023).
- Snapchat users open the app approximately 30 times every day (SocialPilot, 2023).
- Snapchat users swipe up—the equivalent of a click-through—five times more than average social media click-through rates (SocialPilot, 2023). This social media statistic should perk up the ears of marketers.
- Snapchat users are 60% more likely than average to make impulse purchases (SocialPilot, 2023).
Tumblr social media marketing statistics
- 12.8 million blog posts are published on Tumblr each day (Techjury, 2023).
- Tumblr reports over 518 million blogs on its platform (FinancesOnline, 2023).
- 61% of new Tumblr users belong to Gen Z, and 48% of active users are members of this cohort (Search Engine Journal, 2023).
- 45.94% of Tumblr’s traffic originates in the US (Search Engine Journal, 2023).
- 69% of users access Tumblr via mobile device (Search Engine Journal, 2023).
- On average, Tumblr users visit 67 pages each month (Techjury, 2023).
- Every second, 1644 Tumblr posts are published (Techjury, 2023).
- Tumblr users love the platform with 70% saying it’s their favorite place to visit online (Techjury, 2023).
Now that you’re armed with the latest and greatest advertising on social media statistics, plus a handy infographic, go forth and conquer!
Need an extra hand? Vendasta’s Social Marketing will give you and your clients the ability to grow your fan base and turn online leads into raving customers. Put those social media stats for business into action to develop the best social campaigns, posts, tactics and more. If you need extra horsepower, you can also outsource marketing services to our white-label digital marketing agency.
Want to see how Vendasta does it? Check out our Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other social channels to watch us work that social magic!